Miley Cyrus has said that Meet Miley Cyrus was "just meeting me, finding out who I am", while Breakout was inspired by "what's been going on in my life in the past year." Cyrus co-wrote all of the album's songs apart from two, and called them "grown-up".
- Breakout (Song) - 3:26
- 7 Things (Miley Cyrus, Antonina Armato, Tim James) – 3:33
- The Driveway (Scott Cutler, Miley Cyrus, Anne Preven) – 3:43
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Robert Hazard) – 3:58
- Full Circle – 3:14
- Fly On the Wall – 2:31
- Bottom of the Ocean – 3:15
- Wake Up America – 2:46
- These Four Walls (Scott Cutler, Cheyenne Kimball, Anne Preven) – 3:28
- Simple Song (Jeffrey Steele, Jesse Littleton, Miley Cyrus) – 3:32
- Goodbye (Antonina Armato, Miley Cyrus, Tim James) – 3:50
- See You Again (Rock Mafia Remix) (Miley Cyrus, Antonina Armato, Tim James) – 3:16
The album's title track, "Breakout", and another song from the album, "Fly on the Wall", were first sung at the 2008 Disney Channel Games in early May 2008. These two songs, along with "7 Things", were performed at Z100's Zootopia concert on May 17, 2008 as well. Also, "Fly on the Wall" and "Breakout" were performed at KIIS FM's Wango Tango 2008. On July 4, 2008, Miley peformed "Breakout", "7 Things", "Fly on the Wall", "Simple Song", and "Full Circle" at the Stadium of Fire.
The Breakout Tour will be Miley Cyrus's second headlining tour. It is expected to begin during early December or Late January, after filming of the Hannah Montana 3rd season is done filming. No dates have been released yet.
In its first day of release, Breakout sold 110,000 copies. The album was "neck and neck" with Sugarland's third studio album Love on the Inside.